Broken promises are one of the biggest mistakes that one can make.
The above article’s context is in a working environment but the lessons apply everywhere.
- diminish the value of our word
- decrease our ability to work for and with others
- lessen our own self esteem
We can redeem ourselves and start building a reputation for reliability and credibility by:
- Remembering the things we promise to do – we often say too many things without remembering to follow up. Some of the promises I have heard or given lightly are: “Let’s do lunch”, “I’ll get back to you on that”, “I’ll call you”
- Clarify what is expected of us
- Use ‘As Promised’ in our communications – when following up on a promise, use ‘As Promised’ to state that we are delivering on our commitment.
- renegotiating if we might miss a deadline
This is food for thought as we approach Christmas and a new year after that.