In the waning years of the turbulent 20th Century, St. Andrew’s stands securely on the the rock of the Spirit. Confidently, joyfully, the Church has created new ministries, widened missionary activities and maintained a continual search for better ways in which to live in love and charity with our neighbours.
Outreach to other Christian churches and to the citizens of our host country has become a key aspect of St, Andrew’s life. Two examples: St, Andrew’s hosted the first rally of the K.L. Auxiliary of the Malaysia Bible Societies, attended by over 300 Christians representing 9 different denominations; and in 1963, the congregation of the hitherto homeless Christian Chinese Church was invited to meet in St. Andrew’s. The Chinese Church still holds it’s Sunday services here.
St. Andrew’s celebrated its 50th Anniversary on 26 November 1967 with a special Thanksgiving service. Hundreds of greetings flowed in from around the world.
In 1988, an extension to the church was built, accommodating additional floor space for education and administration, an extension to the Fellowship Hall and a new building containing quarters for the caretaker, new toilets, a library, an office and air conditioned classrooms and meeting rooms.
During this period, banners and pulpit falls of St. Andrew’s were made by a group of Church women. The ladies came from many countries and many denominations. For some, the idea of banners, liturgical colours and creative symbolism to heighten the drama and meaning of Christian worship was something quite new. For all, the considerable time and effort they would be called upon to make became, not a burden, but a joy.
13 NOVEMBER 1955:
St. Andrew’s stained glass windows are unveiled. The one pictured above is at the front of the Church. It was given by the Women of St. Andrew’s and is dedicated to those who died in the World Wars.